Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Orange Mystery Bread

Aaah, Friday, the last day of the work week when we are allowed to wear jeans at the office. It’s a day that I look forward to. Not only is it jeans day, it’s also Breakfast Club. It’s the day when I arrive at work to a bountiful buffet of breakfast. It’s ready and waiting for me to swoop in with my plate and rescue it from the land of “Pick me! Pick me!” The delicacies change often and I leave with a plateful of food, sometimes returning for round two…and three. (It’s a good thing I run marathons or I might be 200 pounds.)

On this particular morning I was greeted with a mound of shining silver, slightly unwrapped exposing a loaf of evenly sliced orange bread. I wondered what it was and decided to take a chance. Who knew what kind of bread was lurking on the breakfast table. And it was orange on top of that. What was it doing associating itself with biscuits and pastries? It’s breakfast after all.

Once back in my office, with nothing left on my plate but the slab of orange mystery, I decided to try a bite. I could smell the spices before it reached my mouth. As I tasted the mystery bite, I was pleased to find that it was sweet with a kick of spice. It was actually quite delicious. It was extremely moist and light as a feather. I wasted no time in taking another bite. Before I knew it, my orange mystery bread was all gone. I snuck back down the hall for another slice before it was too late to snatch another piece. I escaped back to my office and saved my second slice for dessert later in the afternoon.

Once my second slice was safely sitting in my office, I went on a mission to find out what it was. After a bit of questioning, I discovered that my office neighbor brought it in. His wife had made two loafs for our breakfast club. I thanked him profusely for bringing in this delicious treat and inquired as to what it was. Come to find out, it was Pumpkin Spice Bread. I had never heard of such a thing. Who knew that pumpkin, the orange gourd that I avoided so many times as a kid (and, yes, I avoided Pumpkin Pie, too), was as delicious as the bread that I so furiously devoured. I have since become a fan of all things pumpkin, including the pie. And thanks to my exuberance my office neighbor brought me a few extra slices to enjoy once again. Now, if only I could learn how to make it myself…

No comments:

Post a Comment