Sunday, August 30, 2009

Girl Scout Cookies meet Dairy Queen Blizzards

Dairy Queen, one of my most favorite places to get ice cream, has come out with two, I repeat, two Girl Scout cookie blizzards. Blizzards are one of my all time favorite go to desserts. I could eat one every day and be completely satisfied, but only if they mix it all the way through. I ordered a blizzard, not ice cream on the bottom with candy mixed into the top. That is such a tease and an extreme disappointment. I don’t care if you can hold the blizzard upside down and the ice cream doesn’t fall out. Put the blizzard in a clear cup so I can see candy bits all the way to the bottom; and when I ask for chocolate ice cream, yes, I mean for you to put chocolate syrup in my ice cream. I have digressed far from my original point, which was the two flavors of Girl Scout blizzards. I have recently tried both, the Thin Mint and Tagalong blizzards.

The Tagalong blizzard was my first choice, as I have a passion for all things chocolate, except for chocolate covered bugs. I don’t think I could ever eat those. Ewww. The Tagalong is a cookie covered in chocolate with a peanut butter layer on the inside. The chocolate is very soft and the peanut butter compliments both the cookie and the chocolate covering. For the blizzard, the cookie is mixed with vanilla ice cream and peanut butter syrup. I didn’t try my Tagalong blizzard with peanut butter syrup; I went for the chocolate instead. After a few bites, I concluded that I wasn’t impressed with this blizzard. To me, it tasted as though someone crushed up a cookie and mixed it with ice cream, which is basically what it’s meant to be but it just didn’t satisfy. Nothing was outstanding and I wasn’t looking forward to the next time I could eat one. I doubt I’d recommend it to anyone. However, you could definitely tell that it was a Girl Scout cookie, so if you love a Tagalong, give it a try. You might love it.

A few days after my Tagalong experience, I opted for the Thin Mint blizzard. The Thin Mint is a mint flavored chocolate cookie with a chocolate outer layer. It’s a very thin and refreshing cookie. The Thin Mint blizzard consists of vanilla ice cream, mint syrup, and Thin Mints. I was hoping to have my socks knocked off as I took my first bite, but no such luck. The Thin Mint cookie was recognizable in the ice cream and added to the mintiness, yet I felt as though it lacked enough chocolate to balance the flavors. It was very minty. All in all, I wasn’t overly impressed with this blizzard either. I much prefer an Oreo in my mint ice cream; however, if you are the kind of person that counts down the days until Girl Scout cookies go on sale and then you buy multiple boxes to keep in stock because you love them that much, then these blizzards may hit the spot when you can’t get your Girl Scout cookie fix.

The bottom line is Girl Scout cookies are delicious on their own. They don’t need to be drowned in a sea of frozen vanilla creaminess to make them better or more desirable. It’s about the cookie, not the blizzard.

No comments:

Post a Comment